I have no idea where the idea of chat-lines came from.
What is more, I have no idea why they persist. The best way to introduce yourself to someone is with a smile and a
‘Hi, I’m Betty. How are you?’
(Unless of course you are very obviously not a Betty). This ‘technique’ works face-to-face as well as in a message to someone you like the look of on Free and Single because it opens up a line of communication, as opposed to a line of humiliation.
Remember: Open questions lead to conversation. Crazy lines lead to a drink in the face and no friends.
However, for those few try-hard individuals who have attempted to charm their conversational partner with a distinct one-liner…the following is to show you what you must not, ever, use. Seriously, never.
10 Terrible Chat Up Lines to Avoid Like the Plague
- ‘Hi there, the voices in my head told me to come talk to you.’
- ‘You must be tired because you have been running through my head all night.’
- ‘When they made the alphabet they should have put U and I together.’
- ‘I said, did you break that hip when you fell from heaven, dear?’
- ‘Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk past again?’
- ‘How many camels can I buy you for?’
- ‘Kiss me if I’m wrong, but isn’t your name Gorgeous?’
- ‘I’ll cook you dinner if you cook me breakfast.’
- ‘Keep it quiet – but I am completely and utterly naked under these clothes.’
- ‘Was your father a thief? Because he stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes.’
Do the world a favour people – introduce yourself, start a conversation. The only chat-up line I’m putting out there as permissable? (Follow up with the ‘Hi, how do you do…’);
How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!